- Casa Roble Fundamental HS
Board Briefs: Oct. 26, 2021
Here are a few highlights from the Oct. 26 board meeting:
Workshop held on open enrollment
The board reviewed and discussed open enrollment, board policies and education codes related to open enrollment, and the impact it has on school enrollment during a board workshop.
The governing board of each school district, as a condition for the receipt of school apportionments from the State School fund, shall adopt rules and regulations establishing a policy of open enrollment within the district for district residents. For the 2022-2023 school year, the open enrollment period will run from Dec. 6, 2021 through Jan. 21, 2022.
San Juan Unified has eight schools (six elementary, one middle, and one high school) that are non-boundary schools and are entirely populated through the open enrollment process. Additionally, specialized programs such as International Baccalaureate, Rapid Learner, Dual Immersion and Montessori can be accessed through open enrollment or based on placement criteria. For the 2019-20 school year, approximately 5,800 students attended either a non-boundary school or one of the specialized programs. This equates to over 14% of the total population of the district. The full presentation is available here.
Update provided on school start times
The board heard an update on and discussed school start times for the 2022-2023 school year in response to Senate Bill 328. The presentation covered the district’s current bell schedules, as well as three different options with associated costs of proposed changes to the bell schedule. Senate Bill 328 requires the following:
- The school day for high schools shall begin no earlier than 8:30 a.m.
- The school day for middle schools shall begin no earlier than 8 a.m.
- Implementation no later than July 1, 2022
District staff will review feedback on the three different options and will bring the item back to the board with a recommended option at a future board meeting. The full presentation is available here.
In other news…
- The board approved the Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER) III Expenditure Plan.
- The board adopted a resolution proclaiming the week of Nov. 8-12 as School Psychology Awareness Week.
- The board held public hearings and adopted resolutions conveying permanent and temporary easements at Mesa Verde High School to the Citrus Heights Water District.
The next regular board meeting will be held on Nov. 16 at 6:30 p.m. Visit www.sanjuan.edu/boardmeeting for details. You can also view videos of prior board meetings on the district’s YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/user/SanJuanUnified.