Return to Headlines

Important update regarding high school grading options

This message is available in SpanishArabicFarsiRussian and Ukrainian.

To meet the challenges of the COVID-19 response and help adapt to the rapid changes involved with the shift to distance learning, San Juan Unified high schools will use a default of credit or no credit for the fourth quarter/term. This means students will either earn credit for their course toward graduation requirements or not earn credits toward graduation but they will not, by default, receive a letter grade nor will their grade point averages (GPA) be impacted either positively or negatively. For many students, this will be the best option in the distance learning model. The University of California and California State University system, as well as many of the top private universities in the nation, have endorsed this model and shared that it will not impact a student’s ability to earn college admission. 

However, we also recognize that for a variety of reasons students may want to earn a letter grade. For example, this could be especially important for students working to increase their GPA. To support all of our learners, our high schools will allow students to petition for a letter grade for the fourth quarter or term. 

The process to petition for a letter grade has been established as follows:

  1. Notify the teacher in writing (via email) that the student is interested in petitioning for a letter grade in the class NO LATER THAN MAY 1. 
  2. Students petitioning for a letter grade will receive regular feedback regarding grade progress. 
  3. Teachers will notify students of their letter grade, and the impact that any remaining work may have on that grade, by May 29. 
  4. Students who have petitioned for a grade may change their request to credit or no credit no later than noon on June 9. 
  5. Student’s final grade will reflect the grade/mark of A-F, credit or no credit based upon completion of this process. 

Students with questions about this process should reach out to their teacher or school counselor.