Board Briefs - May 11, 2021
Here are a few highlights from last night’s board meeting:
Update on in-person learning and COVID-19 response
Staff provided an update on new quarantine guidelines. Last week, Cal/OSHA, which regulates workplace safety in the state, released revised guidance that now aligns their regulations with current language from the Centers for Disease Control and California Department of Public Health allowing individuals who have been vaccinated to not quarantine if exposed to someone who tests positive for COVID-19.
To be eligible, an individual must:
- Be fully vaccinated with both doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines or the single dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
- Have passed a 14 day period since their final vaccination was administered.
- Be within 90 days of their final vaccination being administered.
- Show proof of vaccination in the form of their vaccination record from a vaccine clinic or health professional.
Federal officials have moved towards the authorization of the Pfizer vaccine for individuals age 12 and up. The district is working with a number of community partners to schedule vaccination clinics for students that are interested in receiving the vaccine. More details will be shared in the coming week.
The district is working toward putting out a survey next week to all families about what next year will look like. Families will be asked to consider what the educational options will be next year. The district will return to a full-time five-day schedule with the start of the 2021-2022 school year on Aug. 12.
Update on Expanded Learning Opportunities Grant Plan
Staff provided the board with an update on the Expanded Learning Opportunities Grant plan. Assembly Bill 86 allocates approximately $27 million in funding to San Juan Unified, where 85 percent must support in-person services and 10 percent must go toward hiring paraprofessionals. The deadline to submit the plan is June 1 and funding is through Aug. 31, 2022.
Stakeholder feedback was collected on what the plan should include through a variety of methods, including a Thoughtexchange process and the collection of student voice. Key themes that emerged included differentiated academic and social-emotional supports, increasing mental health supports, increasing credit recovery options, fostering peer interactions, mentoring and community building and providing engaging, fun, real world experiences and opportunities.
Based on the feedback collected, the district’s plan includes expanding summer learning opportunities, implementing before, during and after school programs, expanding instructional support in classrooms and providing tutoring services, among others.
The board is anticipated to take action on the plan at the May 25 board meeting.
Renaming of new middle school at Encina
After utilizing the Design Thinking process, which involves surveying stakeholders, defining, ideating and getting feedback, the student body and staff have recommended the name Katherine Johnson Middle School for the new middle school.
Katherine Johnson was a mathematician for NASA and her math helped the U.S. land on the moon. Staff and students feel that Katherine Johnson truly represents who they are as a school. The selection was reviewed and endorsed by the district’s Facilities Committee, as well as the Superintendent’s Cabinet. Board action on this item is expected at the May 25 board meeting.
In other news...
- The board adopted a resolution proclaiming the week of May 16-22 as Classified School Employee Week
- The board approved the implementation of agreements with SJTA, CSEA, SJPEC, Supervisors, Teamsters, SJAA, Cabinet, Confidential and Unrepresented groups, which include two additional paid days during the remainder of the 2020-2021 school year in alignment with the side letters of agreement that were negotiated with all San Juan Unified bargaining groups.
The next board meeting will be held on May 25 at 6:30 p.m. Visit www.sanjuan.edu/boardmeeting for details. You can also view videos of prior board meetings on the district’s YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/user/SanJuanUnified.