Do schools allow ICE, police or other government authorities to have access to student records?

Posted by:

Access to student records should only be allowed if the requesting agency has a valid court order or subpoena in compliance with the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) or immigration laws and regulations. All such requests should be referred to the legal office or San Juan Central which maintains the district’s official student records.  

In cases where records would be provided, the district must make reasonable efforts to notify the parent or eligible student in advance of disclosing the documents so that the parent or eligible student may seek protective action, unless the court order or subpoena relates to a federal jury investigation or law enforcement purpose, or relating to domestic or international terrorism.